Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Week 12: Chicken Satay Frittata

Tonight's frit was a last minute decision inspired by roaming aimlessly around Trader Joe's. I spotted a jar of Satay sauce and my gears started turning—I had a bush load of cilantro at home, throw some coconut milk & chicken in the cart and I was ready to cook. I decided to put the TJ's brand Satay back on the shelf and make my own. I loosely based my satay sauce on a couple recipes I viewed online, it was very hard not to eat it while the frit was cooking, it was delicious.


I used 4 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs and browned them in the frit pan in a little olive oil and s+p.

The egg mixture:
6 eggs
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/4 chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp sriracha sauce

Satay sauce:
1/4 natural chunky peanut butter
1/8 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
1/2 tsp agave syrup
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp soy sauce

Mix together all ingredients to make the Satay sauce. Mix together all egg mixture ingredients and pour into greased (from cooked chicken, drain extra oil out) pan over medium heat. Stir gently around a bit until the mixture starts to set on the sides and then throw in the broiler for a minute or two. Slice the chicken breasts into strips and brush with satay sauce. Arrange the slices around the frittata and then throw back into the broiler for a couple minutes until the top is nice and browned. Serve garnished with more chopped cilantro, thinly sliced red onion and the remaining satay sauce on the side.


This was great. The coconut milk gave the eggs a wonderful smooth and delicate texture and lovely subtle essence. I was surprised that the cilantro flavor in the egg was a little lost, which is why it was great to have the backup garnish. I made a simple salad with little heirloom tomatoes and dressed it with this outrageous 18 year balsamic vinaigrette mixed with a dash of olive oil. We got this balsamic for Christmas and I just cracked it open this weekend, what took me so long? It is divine drizzled over strawberries.

Special happy birthday wishes to my wonderful friend's beautiful daughter, she turned 1 this past Monday and I was lucky enough to celebrate with them this past weekend.

No comments: