Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Week 9: Chile Rellenos Frittata

Last week after posting on Facebook, a friend asked if I would be willing to make a Chile Rellenos frittata. Sure, why not—I've never made chile rellenos before, so it might be fun, right? Ugh. I decided there were two routes I could take with this frittata: the first route would be straight on, make rellenos and throw them on top of a frit; the second route could potentially be great, or boring...incorporate the common ingredients of chile rellenos into the frittata, giving a generalized experience—like you commonly get with themed omelets. I took the first route, deciding it would be more educational and adventurous to make the rellenos. I called my sister last night on my way home from work asking for help with this endeavor. She scanned over a recipe and gave me a general shopping list. I ended up running a slew of errands and didn't get home until 8 pm, only to find that the Woodhull housemother just dropped off copious amounts of Mexican food for the boys as a late dinner (they get spoiled during finals week). I was starving and couldn't resist the option of not cooking, and boy am I glad I chose not to tackle these last night.

It's not that they are hard to make, there are just a lot of steps. So many steps that I am attaching the scan instead of typing out the ingredients and instructions (if you click on the image it will get bigger)!


Things started out pretty roughly. I failed to blister the peppers enough, so after sitting in plastic bags for 20 minutes they were still unpeelable. Hubs, who is out on dorm duty tonight, checked in at this point as I was angrily not peeling poblano peppers. He had a great idea of putting the peppers directly over the gas flame on the stove. It didn't really work to well or maybe I wasn't patient enough. I decided that skins were perfectly fine staying put on the peppers and probably even good for you, like the crusts of bread...


I also failed to read ahead on this recipe, I sort of quickly glanced over the steps and figured it would be a good time to test a new whoopie pie recipe. My peppers were sitting in bags and the boiled potatoes were already mixed with the cheeses. But then it came time to fry...and oh dear, I have to separate my eggs and whip two whites to stiff peaks and then fold them into the well beaten light and creamy yolks? Crap. Typically, I would throw the whites in my Kitchen Aid and skip the whisk, however my kitchen was a mess and my mixer bowl was dirty, so I whisked my heart out and worked up a nice sweat. No biggie, just an unexpected little step.


I kept the frittata part very simple: 5 eggs, 1/8 cup of skim milk, s + p, and red pepper flakes. I cut the chile rellenos down a bit so they would fit in my pan and added them while the top was still very moist and then threw the pan in the broiler for a minute or two. I paired this guy with a light salad, a gob of fayeh greek yogurt sprinkled with chipolte tobasco + cilantro, and a Stella.


It was yummy. Hubbity loved it and came back for more. I'm a little bummed about the prep time, although now that I've done it, I'm sure I could stream line the process with a little old fashioned mise en place. I'm also bummed about the deep frier smell lingering in the kitchen.

5 comments:

JKZ said...

The rellenos look fabulous. I know what you mean about the deep fry smell, you'll wake up in the middle of the night smelling it.....

It all looks great, love the chipotle yogurt and the beautiful salad!

Unknown said...

Hey - definitely, when you are roasting peppers for any reason, do it on direct flame. Set the pepper on the flame, resting on the rack that your pan usually sits on when you are cooking. Use that grate as a tool, it holds the pepper at just the right height above the flame. Keep the flame on high. Cook the pepper until it is burnt black, and turn each side until the whole thing is blistered BLACK. It will feel weird the first time, like you are doing something wrong, but once you peel that skin off and have a perfectly roasted pepper, you will never look back. Hope all is well with you, and hope this trick works for you as it does for me! Peppers are resilient ant wont be overcooked as long as you turn it just when it has turned completely black on one side.

Nicole Morris said...

I'm proud you tackled it! Looks yummy :)

Liz said...

That looks so good! I'm impressed and inspired.

tracy emara said...

Your food is always outstanding and you are brave to tackle this difficult recipe, but I love the pictures of the squeaky clean white stove admist all the decadent ingredients... truly impressed that your stove is so clean!! :)